Beginner Half Marathon Training Schedule
This beginner Half Marathon training schedule will take you from 2 miles – 13 miles safely in just a few weeks! The body can quickly adapt to new situations; the muscles in particular can adapt to running faster than the ligaments and tendons. Remember to take your rest days seriously and gradually increase your mileage as a way to protect your joints. Feel free to adjust the training days to fit your schedule. Cross training days are primarily body weighted movements like swimming, cycling, and hiking. Weight lifting can be used for cross training if you are already accustomed to it. Do not begin a weightlifting program for the first time for your cross training days. You want to prioritize your workouts towards running with cross training as a supplement. Check out some of our workouts for ideas!
Quick tips and training reminders:
- Find a comfortable pair of running shoes early on, maybe get fitted
- Give your joints a break occasionally by running on tracks, treadmills or trails instead of cement
- Fueling during your long runs around miles 4-6 is recommended to keep your body going
- Hydrate, before, during and after your runs. Aim for your body weight in oz.
- Sundays you can cross train or do an easy jog for 20-30 mins
- Carb load the night before your race to increase your glycogen reserves. An example dinner would be spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread
- Avoid high fiber foods 24hrs before any long distance run 10 miles +
Congratulations on deciding to run your first half marathon and enjoy the process!
|1||Rest||2 miles||Rest||2.5 miles||Rest||3 miles||Cross Train|
|2||Rest||2 miles||Rest||3 miles||Rest||4 miles||Cross Train|
|3||Rest||2.5 miles||Cross Train||3 miles||Rest||5 miles||Cross Train|
|4||Rest||3 miles||Cross Train||4 miles||Rest||6 miles||Cross Train|
|5||Rest||3 miles||Cross Train||3 miles||Rest||7 miles||Cross Train|
|6||Rest||4 miles||Cross Train||4 miles||Rest||8 miles||Cross Train|
|7||Rest||4 miles||Rest||4 miles||Cross Train||9 miles||Cross Train|
|8||Rest||4 miles||Cross Train||3 miles||Rest||10 miles||Cross Train|
|9||Rest||5 miles||Cross Train||4 miles||Rest||11 miles||Rest|
|10||Cross Train||4 miles||Rest||3 miles||Cross Train||12 miles||Cross Train|
|11||Rest||Cross Train||Rest||3 miles||Cross Train||5 miles||Cross Train|
|12||Rest||2 miles||20 mins||Rest||20 mins||Race Day||Rest|
This blog post is a recap of key points from multiple sources listed below & personal experience: